BJC events are open to members only with selected items on the calendar extended to guests of members by private circulation. Monthly meetings are generally held the first Tuesday of each month. Additions to the calendar are made throughout the BJC year.
Members’ Upcoming Calendar – Next Quarter(s)
- July Monthly Meeting – Tuesday 4th July – will be a COMEDY NIGHT at The Famous Royal Naval Volunteer on King Street. BJC will be playing host to three amazing, up and coming comedians from London, Gary Tro, Kate Lucus and Javier Jarquin, giving us a preview of their shows before they head up to the Edinburgh fringe festival. There may also be a modest tab behind the bar! If you would like to bring a guest along please contact Alice Peacock.
- City Leadership Programme – 3 – 14th July – 14 volunteers signed up, more needed! See weekly email for more details and if you are interested in being involved, either through providing support at the event on or through sponsoring or mentoring a young person, please contact our Chair of Education and Skills, Megan Turnbull.
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) LEAP Academy – Fri 7th July to Sun 9th July – JCI UK have kindly offered two spaces for BJC members to attend their LEAP training academy. This is a highly regarded weekend training course taking place in Birmingham on the weekend of the 7th July. If you would like take advantage of one of these places please contact Charles Chami
- Business & Enterprise Entrepreneurs Networking Breakfast – 18th July – Spoke and Stringer : Members only – to save your place please email our Chair of Business & Enterprise Ashley Sandeman.
- BJC Inbound Hanover Exchange Summer 2017 – Friday 11th August to Sunday 13th August -Following a fantastic visit to Hanover last year we are excited to return the invitation and welcome a delegation from Hanover Junior Chamber to Bristol in summer 2017. We need someone to help plan some activities while the Hanoverians are here. If you are interested in helping out please contact Charles Chami.
- Bristol International Balloon Fiesta – 10 – 13 August 2017 – Most of you will know that the BJC has a historic relationship with Bristol’s iconic balloon fiesta and further details of our showcase Thursday night drinks event will announced nearer the time. At this stage though the fiesta are keen to hear from any companies, individuals or organisations that may be interested in further details of the membership and / or sponsorship opportunities that are available. The event offers a unique opportunity for novel client entertainment, networking or employee rewards and if you would like further details please contact either Robert Barnes or Emma Custance Baker.
- 1st Global Business Global Summit (18th & 19th of October) – BJC is currently involved in the agenda definition and the preparation for the 1st Global Business Summit organised in Bristol. Please contact Benjamin Pean if you have any ideas around initiatives & opportunities to be involved.
- June Monthly Meeting – Tuesday 6th June – 6:30 to 8:30pm – We heard from entrepreneur and Dragons Den survivor Rob Law, founder of every child’s favourite ride on suitcase Trunki. If want to see how Rob got on in the den you can view the programme here. Location: 31 Great George Street, BS1 5DQ (JLL’s shiny and new offices and sun terrace).
- Bordeaux Exchange – Friday 9th June to Sunday 11th June – We visited Bordeaux for a long weekend; please see facebook and twitter for pictures
- Marmalade Trust Event – Tuesday 13th June – BJC members were invited, following our previous sponsorship/support of The Marmalade Trust, to a film screening! .
- BJC Spring Drinks – Thursday 18th May 2017 – 6.30pm-8.30pm – Our Spring drinks is always a highlight in our calendar year, being held once again at The Royal West of England Academy, Queens Road. With over 100+ guests this gave our members and guests an excellent opportunity to network and showcase the variety of businesses and what we do at the BJC.
- Sunday 21st May at 7pm – Insight Ensemble return to the historic tunnels of The Loco Klub for an intriguing, dramatic performance in collaboration with performers from the Invisible Circus.
- May Monthly meeting: Tuesday 2nd May – Waterside 3 at The Watershed, BS1 – We heard from adventurer and tech start up founder Paul Archer. Paul holds two unusual world records for both the longest and highest taxi journey, driving a 1992 London black cab around the world via the Arctic Circle, Russia, Iran, Iraq and Everest base camp. Paul spoke to us about his journey and also his tech start up business duel.
- BJC Annual Dinner – Friday 3rd March – The BJC Annual Dinner took place on Friday 3rd March at Bristol’s newest luxury hotel, the Harbour Hotel.
- UWE Distinguished Address Series – UWE’s fantastic programme of high profile speakers returns in 2017 with another great line-up.
- Schools Interviews – The latest mock interviews took place on at Downend School and at Bristol Grammar School. The interviews are a great way of giving back to young people in the local community and a good opportunity to increase your own experience in conducting interviews.
- Breakfast Meeting – Thursday 16th February – The West of England Councils are developing the Joint Spatial Plan and Joint Transport Study for the region so the BJC welcome you to a property breakfast kindly hosted by Veronica Barbaro of GVA and Rob Holloway at Peter Brett Associates LLP. The JSP/JTS have been consulted on by the four West of England councils and set out a plan for sustainable growth that will help the area meets its housing and transport needed for the next 20 years. This breakfast is to learn more about potential future development and how the plans might affect you; it is one not to be missed!
- Bristol WORKS Pre-Launch Event: Thursday 23rd February, 6-8pm Our vision is to move beyond traditional work experience and towards ‘experiences of work’, come and hear more about the initiative and contribute ideas. Drinks. This event is co-organised by the BJC Commission for Education and Social Economy.
- Heritage & Culture Event – Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World aboard the SS Great Britain – Thursday 9th March – Join us aboard Bristol’s most iconic ship for a cinema experience like no other. Welcome drinks will be followed by a showing of this Oscar-winning maritime epic (starring Russell Crowe!) in the first class saloon. Tickets are limited to members only and priced at a special rate of just £8.50. Non-members are welcome to join us and should book their tickets direct through the Bristol Film Festival website. Please contact Robert Barnes if you require any further information.
- BJC Ski Trip – We ran a ski trip for the BJC running from 11th March for 7 nights, staying in a chalet out in the French Alps. An epic week; roll on next year
- BJC February Meeting – Tuesday 7th February at The RWA, Queens Road – We’re delighted to announce our February meeting will be taking place at the stunning Royal West of England Academy.
- Social Economy Event Thursday 19th January 6pm-8pm – at the Bristol Energy offices – the second “BJC appetizer to change the world” – an informal pitching & networking initiative to promote the Social Economy in Bristol. We had speakers from Bristol Resilient City (part of the 100 Resilient Cities promoted by the Rockefeller Foundation), Happy City Bristol and RWA (Royal West of England Academy) raising awareness around projects promoting the wellbeing in Bristol, placing Core Social Values at the heart of our Local Business Communities.
- Monthly meeting: Tuesday 10th January, Armada House, Telephone Avenue, BS1 4BQ. Our guest speaker was Jessica Valentine from Nuclear South West who was enlightening and educating us on all things nuclear power related and in particular telling us more about the recently agreed £30bn Hinckley Point project and its impact on our local economy. Sian Rees from Bristol Learning City also gave us a short introduction on this initiative.
- Christmas Party!!! – Thursday 1st December at Yurt Lush – Christmas jumpers encouraged.
- Advocacy breakfast at Glassboat, Welsh Back – Tuesday 13th December – Calling all solicitors and litigators. How would you like to attend a breakfast where the speaker is a judge who will give you tips on advocacy and touch on how to enter the judiciary? The BJC are very lucky to have Judge Roger Harper give a light hearted and fun talk to a select group over a cooked breakfast with tea / coffee and all before work. This would also count towards your CPD (as you can reflect on what you have been told and learnt). All for a subsidised price of £9 per person for members or £12 (plus booking) for non members. Book via Eventbrite here – sign ups are LIMITED & a sell-out is expected!
- Heritage & Culture Event – Wills Memorial Tower Haunted Tour – Wednesday 14th December The standard tour of the Wills Memorial Tower just doesn’t have enough edge for the BJC and so we have secured a private tour with a difference – a haunted tour exploring the ghostly history of the 66m high tower. This will be a fascinating insight into Bristol’s iconic building but we’ve been asked to stress that attendees must understand the nature of the tour and that – quote – “the last group walked out of the building shocked of what happened”. This event is open to members and non-members for just £6 but members will get a free drink to steady the nerves beforehand! Please sign up via eventbrite here to secure your place. Full details of arrangements for the night will be circulated nearer the time. Please contact Robert Barnes if you require any further information.
- Monthly meeting: Tuesday 1st November, Armada House, Telephone Avenue, BS1 4BQ. Our guest speaker was Jessica Valentine from Nuclear South West who was enlightening and educating us on all things nuclear power related and in particular telling us more about the recently agreed £30bn Hinckley Point project and its impact on our local economy. Sian Rees from Bristol Learning City also gave us a short introduction on this initiative.